Bradenton? The "friendliest small town in America"?
"Absolutely NO" barks Mark, another reader.
Yet Bradenton – whose motto after all is "the friendly city" – has emerged as the Florida frontrunner in Rand McNally's 2013 Best of the Road competition for the "friendliest" community in America. The contest runs through Sept. 3, 2013.
Although many residents commenting on the Bradenton Patch and Facebook wrote in to say that frankly their community does not warrant that distinction, it now is in first place in the people's choice competition.
- In the final weeks of competition, do you think Bradenton deserves to win?
- Are fellow residents too hard on their city?
Let us know in the comments below.
Meanwhile, here's how to vote and to see Bradenton's ranking in the competition.
The Bradenton Area Convention & Visitors Bureau is urging supporters to keep voting for Bradenton as the "Friendliest Small Town in America."
1. Visit www.bestoftheroad.com and create an account with your name and email address. Select a username and a password and you’re ready to vote!
2. Search for Bradenton and vote in the “Friendliest” category.
3. Submit your vote and remember to vote often; you can vote once a day!
Once voting ends Sept. 3, 2013, a panel of judges will name 30 finalist towns (five in each category) in mid-September based on the final number of votes cast.