Bradenton Police Department rescues family pets from fire. The American Red Cross put the family up overnight.
- POLICE & FIRE
- Toni Whitt
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
The Bradenton Fire Department saved a family's pets Monday after a fire from a candle engulfed a bedroom in flames and the family had to quickly escape without their two dogs and a cat, according to a report from the Bradenton Fire Department. When the Bradenton Fire Department arrived at 2304 42nd St. W. shortly before 4 p.m. the house was engulfed in flames. The homeowner told firefighters that everyone was out of the house, but two Maltese dogs and a cat were still inside. Search and Rescue crews entered the single family house and found a bedroom fully involved with fire and heavy smoke throughout the entire house, according to the report. Crews were able to successfully rescue all of the family pets from the home and administer …
With the vigor of a CEO, Eugene Beckstein, 78, spends much of his retirement helping non-profits raise their bottom lines.
- VOLUNTEERS IN THE NEWS
- Toni Whitt
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
When Eugene Beckstein sold his small business, he figured he'd finally have time to play all the golf he wanted. The Sarasota resident had started the game as a young man and then business, travel, children and family all took him away from the game. Once he retired Beckstein realized that while he had plenty of time to golf, it just wasn't enough. So he began volunteering. And it didn't take long for him to generate demand for his services. Non-profits loved his energy, ideas, connections and his ability to raise money. So much for golf. A Career Volunteer Gene Beckstein and his wife, Annabelle, founded the eye surgical equipment company Visitec in 1978 and ran the company locally until they sold it in 1997. Beckstein stayed on as a …