The Manatee County Sheriff's Office has released a comparison study that shows starting deputies earn the lowest salaries among 15 Tampa Bay area law enforcement agenices.
Newbie deputies make $39,689 a year.
Earning close to 40 grand may not sound all that bad for starting a career.
But consider salaries for similar posts at other departments at nearby agenices. According to the Bradenton Herald, the study was done by Sheriff Brad Steube's Office. Here are some of the findings:
- The highest salary is for new deputies at Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, at $45,950;
- Tampa Police pay new officers $49,863;
- In Clearwater, new police officers earn $47,806;
- St. Petersburg pays $46,887;
- Pinellas County Sheriff's Office starts its deputies at $44,380.
The Manatee County Commission has agreed to give $1.7 million to improve the salaries of new deputies. The commission is planning a meeting next month to address pay concerns at a time of budet cuts and shortfalls. The meeting is to get information and address salary issues for 3,000 county employees.