Last Call Sports Bar & Grill, 2604 Manatee Ave. E., is hosting a benefit this Saturday to help out a friend in need.
The event is a Cancer Awareness Benefit is for Maggie Riester, who has recently been diagnosed with a recurrence of cancer after beating breast cancer years ago. All proceeds will go toward helping Maggie and her family with medical bills and other daily needs, said her longtime friend and co-worker, Mary Pendleton-Brown, an organizer of the event.
There will be activities all day, live music, food and more starting at noon with a pool tournament. Registration for the tournament begins at 10:30 a.m. The cost is $10.
A barbeque chicken dinner with sides will be served between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. The suggested donation for a plate is $6. Winners of the silent auction will be announced at 7 p.m. – bidding will be going on all day.
There will be live music from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. starting with Ricci D from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., Faultline from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., Danny Fox from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. and a jam session with Jimmy Regan & Friends from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Some of the property owners adjacent to Last Call are allowing their lots to be used for additional parking during the event. There will be signs posted at these lots identifying them as overflow parking.
For more information call Mary Pendleton-Brown at 813-422-3312.
Around Bradenton this weekend:
- Old Main Street between Manatee and Third Avenues west closes to vehicles at 2:30 p.m. today to make room for Main Street Live, a popular street party with live music, food and drink vendors and more. The Bradenton-based jam band sToneFish is playing from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. The street reopens at 11 p.m., but the local pubs are open until 2-2:30 a.m.
- If you’d prefer a few games of poker over live music, check out Tink’s Lounge, 3102 53rd Ave. E. Every Thursday from 8 p.m. until 1 a.m. there are back-to-back single table games of Texas Hold'em Poker. There’s no cost to play but the payoff is well worth it. Winners get “bar bucks” and other specials including a two-night stay at a hotel. Shot specials are $2 throughout the night.
- Wild times at The Cellar Bar, 4307 26th St. W., this Friday. The Cellar is hosting its first-ever toga party from 10 p.m. until 2 a.m. Enjoy gifts, prizes, Pinnacle Vodka shot specials – and a visit from the Pinnacle Vodka girls.
- If Friday’s toga party wasn’t enough, there’s a pajama party at Cork’s Cigar Bar, 424 Old Main St., on Saturday from 9 p.m. until 2:30 a.m. featuring music from DJ Crazy Legs, $3 Sweet Revenge and Fireball shots, $1.50 Jell-o Shots and $4 Captain Morgans.
- Gumbo Boogie, Manatee County’s New Orleans-style sound, is playing at Ace’s Lounge, 4343 Palma Sola Blvd., starting at 5 p.m. Sunday. No cover. Gumbo Boogie’s sound is a blend of rock, blues, country and soul along with a bit of the Big Easy. Bring your appetite because Chef Ron’s all-you-can-eat Italian buffet is $6.95 per person from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.