Before we get to the pre-Mayan parties and other celebrations, let’s recognize a special Christmas Eve party in downtown Bradenton.
Cork’s Cigar Bar, 424 Old Main St., is partnering with Manatee Children’s Services to bring Christmas joy to a few local children “adopted” by the crew at Cork’s.
If you can spare a gift for a child in need, check out the flier accompanying this story for ideas. Bring an unwrapped gift to Cork’s Cigar Bar during its Gift for Kids party from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Monday.
If you can’t make it to the bar on Christmas Eve, drop it off sometime this weekend. Cork’s opens daily at 11 a.m.
That's Monday. Here's what the weekend has in store:
- The popular Billy Rice Band is playing the final Main Street Live street party from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. tonight. Old Main Street between Manatee and Third Avenues west closes to vehicles at 2:30 p.m. today to make room the stage, food vendors, beer trucks, tables of arts, crafts and other wares and more. Don’t forget to check out the action in the pubs that line Old Main Street, starting from north to south with McCabe’s Irish Pub, Old Main Pub, Lost Kangaroo Pub, Cork’s Cigar Bar, O’Bricks Irish Pub & Martini Bar and Distillery Tavern.
- Speaking of Old Main Pub, 313 Old Main St., the pub is hosting a Mayan Mayhem Prepper’s Party starting at 7 p.m. Thursday and ending at 2:30 a.m. – or whenever the world might end. Dress for the occasion in a Hazmat suit, zombie rags, judgment day/rapture attire, an Armeggedon-esque movie character like Mad Max, a Mayan or an alien. Music from D.J. Ray. Kool-Aid shots for $3.50.
- Also on Thursday, Fan-Atics Sports Bar & Grill, 4669 Cortez Rd., is hosting its annual Christmas party from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. If you'd like, bring a gift for the white elephant gift exchange ($20 minimum) and a dish for the buffet.
- Badda Bing! Bar, 7004 Cortez Rd., is hosting an Ugly Sweater Christmas Party all day Friday. The bar opens at 11 a.m. Put that ugly sweater to good use for two chances to win a bar tab: First contest is at 3 p.m. ($25 prize), second at midnight ($50 prize). There will be a 50/50 raffle benefitting Manatee Children's Services and $4 shot specials.
- It’s a Cortez Christmas Party at Ace’s Lounge, 4343 Palma Sola Blvd., featuring live music from Razing Cane at 9 p.m. Saturday. More live music from Sweet Wednesday on the tiki deck from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Also, Ace’s “Happy Daze” specials are back: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily happy hour specials with $1 off all drinks. Wells, drafts and domestics are $2.50. No cover for this show.