Sunday Is Part of the Weekend, Too!
Attention 'skins fans: The Fox is calling you home.
There's something about watching a football game with a crowd of fellow fans.
Now if you're a Tampa Bay Bucs fan or even a Miami Dolphins or Jacksonville Jaguars fan, chances are you never have any problem finding a crowd of football fans who share your loyalities. If your team plays outside of Florida, followers of your ilk may be hard to come by.
We reported where fans of the Steelers, Browns and Raven get together. (Yes, I know Bears fans hang out at Joey D's, 4304 14th St. W., but it's not really a bar so I can't mention them in this column.)
Thanks to a Patch reader, we recently learned where Washington Redskins fans congregate on Sunday: Firkin & Fox Restaurant & Pub, 2505 Manatee Ave E.
And here's what else is happening this weekend in Bradenton:
- Singer/songwriter JJ Smith returns to McCabe’s Irish Pub, 302 Old Main St., for a rare afternoon appearance this Friday. Enjoy authentic Irish folk music from JJ and his acoustic guitar from 2:30-5:30 p.m. Happy hour is noon to 7 p.m., so your drinks are a bit cheaper (A pint of tasty Guinness is $4.75 instead of the regular $5.25) during those hours. It's a special day for yours truly; it's my wedding reception. What better place for the new McCann family to celebrate than an Irish-owned and operated pub in downtown Bradenton?
- Poker Night Thursday at Tink’s Lounge, 3102 53rd Ave. E. Back-to-back single table games of Texas Hold ‘em Poker starts around 8:30 p.m. No charge to play. Win “bar bucks” and other prizes. Free raffle tickets for every player and daily shot specials.
- The Bay area’s premier cover band, Katalyst, takes the stage at 9 p.m. Saturday at Ace’s Lounge, 4343 Palma Sola Blvd. No cover.
- Here’s one for the art fan who also enjoys a drink: ArtCenter Manatee, 209 9th St. W., is hosting a “Casual Night” at 6 p.m. Saturday with music, dancing, a quick sketch competition with a model, table prizes, silent auction and reverse raffle. Buffet catered by Firkin & Fox Restaurant & Pub, 2505 Manatee Ave E. Cash bar, too. Tickets are $25 each. Call (941) 746-2862 for tickets.
- Speaking of the Fox, it is the official headquarters of the Washington Redskins. Watch the ‘skins (3-5) take on the Miami Dolphins at 1 p.m. Sunday. Get a bite to eat and wash it down with an English or Irish beer. The Fox has more than a dozen local and import brews on tap. As for the game, it could be a good one. The Dolphins (1-7) are on a role – they actually won a game last Sunday.
- It’s the Big Band Buffet Bash at A Touch of Class, 5131 14th St. W., from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday. Live music from George W. Carroll Jazz Band, an 18-piece ensemble of jazz veterans led by George Carroll, a singer, pianist and composer who has played at high-profile jazz clubs around the country. Reservations recommended: 941-356-2666. Cover is $10 per person and that includes A Touch of Class’ mouth-watering buffet of soul food prepared by the family of former NFL star Henry Lawrence.