Nik Wallenda, welcome home.
Wallenda is set to arrive at Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport on a JetBlue flight and the public is welcome to say hello to its native son.
The King Of The Highwire dazzled an international audience of 16 million by walking across Niagara Falls on June 15 and is working on walking across the Grand Canyon on a tightrope (without a harness). On Saturday, Wallenda walked across Charlotte Motor Speedway before the Bank of America 500.
Friday's event at SRQ Airport is free, and parking will also be waived for those attending the celebration. It starts at 10:45 a.m. on the ground level of the airport by the indoor waterfall. County Commission Chairwoman Christine Robinson will present Wallenda with a proclamation declaring Oct. 19 as Nik Wallenda Day in Sarasota County.
"Over the weeks leading up to his walk above The Falls, Nik Wallenda shared his spotlight with his hometown; and the world took note," Circus Sarasota co-founder and CEO Pedro Reis said in a statement. "When we welcome him home to Sarasota, we are letting Nik know how proud he has made us, and how proud we are of him!"
Sailor Circus will also be on hand to welcome Wallenda along with Mayor Suzanne Atwell.
Nik Wallenda Coverage:
- Late Night Shows Have Fun With Wallenda
- Episode Recap: Nik Wallenda's 'Danger By Design'
- 13 Million Watched Nik Wallenda Walk Over Niagara Falls
- Nik Wallenda Crossed the Falls, as Sarasota Held Its Breath
- Nik Wallenda: Wallenda Completes Walk Across Niagara Falls
- Nik Wallenda Over Niagara: The World Is Watching
- Wallenda To Walk Niagara Falls Tightrope June 15
- Daredevil Wallenda To Speak At Ringling