PHOTOS: Southeastern Guide Dogs Walkathon
Hundreds of people and dogs turned out to trek up and down Riverwalk to raise money for the Southeastern Guide Dogs.
Riverwalk went to the dogs Saturday as they led their owners on a walk to raise money for Southeastern Guide Dogs.
It is the biggest fundraiser of the year for Southeastern Guide Dogs, and it all kicked off at Rossi Park with the first of three walkathons in the area.
Contribute Your Photos Above. See the whole gallery at Facebook.com/BradentonPatch.
Individual registration opportunities are still available for each of the walks. Registration costs $25, and you can pre-register online or register the day of the walk. You will receive a T-shirt plus a bandana for your dog with registration, too.
Next week the walk moves to Sarasota's Payne Park, then finishes the following week in St. Pete's Vinoy Park.
Dogs are welcome to participate with their two-legged companion as long as the dogs are well behaved and leashed. The organization requests that non-retractable leashes are used.
Each walkathon will have a variety of attractions for the whole family, from local vendors, and food trucks to dog massages, and activities for the kids, there will even be an opportunity to experience what it is like to walk blindfolded with a trained dog.
Saturday, March 2
Payne Park, 2050 Adams Lane, Sarasota
- Registration— 8:30 am
- Opening Ceremonies 9:45 am
- 3K Walk Kick-Off 10:00 am
- Event Wrap Up 12:00 pm
- Parking: Free public parking will be available in the Sarasota County parking garage at Ringling Boulevard and School Avenue, adjacent to Payne Park.
Saturday, March 9
Vinoy Park, 701 Bayshore Drive NE, St. Petersburg
- Registration— 8:30 am
- Opening Ceremonies— 9:45 a.m.
- 3K Walk Kick-Off —10 a.m.
- $10,000 Raffle Drawing —11:30 a.m.
- Event Wrap Up—Noon
- Parking: Public parking garages and lots are available throughout downtown St. Petersburg for a fee. On-street parking is regulated to short-term parking only – posted parking regulations will be in force. Handicapped parking available at the Northsore Aquatic Complex
- Shuttle Service: Red Open Air trolleys will be providing the shuttle service from 8 a.m. to noon and service dogs are welcome to ride. Stops every 10-15 minutes. Stops at Al Lang Field parking lot, BayWalk/Md Core parking garage and Vinoy Park.
For more information, visit www.guidedogs.org/walkathon or call 941-729-5665.