Sunday Celebration at Cork's
Cork's Cigar Bar is having a party Sunday to thank customers for being there during its first year.
Cork’s Cigar Bar, 424 Old Main St., is hosting a bash this Sunday for everyone that helped support the bar in its first year in its new location – everyone from the ones who built it to the ones that frequent it nightly.
Cork Miller, owner of the popular joint, said the party plan started out as a “Builders Appreciation Night” to thank those who labored tirelessly last year to rebuild Cork's in a vacant storefront on the west side of Old Main Street after it moved out of its former digs across the street.
But then it sort of morphed into a “Customer Appreciation Night.” After all, many of the same people who helped build the place are loyal customers. So it’s just easier to call it an evening for everyone.
The party starts at 6:30 p.m. Sunday with live music from Doug Deming & The Jewel Tones, a local blues-swing band that performs and hosts blues jams at Cork’s on Sunday nights. Cork’s is open until 2 a.m.; expect the party, like any party at Cork’s, to last until…2 a.m.
There will be drink specials, Cork said, but he wasn’t sure what kind when we talked on Tuesday.
“But it’s going to be a hell of a good time,” he said.
Other events happening in the area this weekend:
- Well, this is it. The last dollar beer night at McKechnie Field, 1611 9th St. W.. Game starts at 6:30 p.m. as the Marauders take on the Charlotte Stone Crabs. Budweiser and Pepsi products are $1 per draft throughout the game. The Marauders are seeking a playoff berth in the season’s second half. If they get it and McKechnie Field hosts a playoff game, fingers crossed that it lands on a Thursday: another Thirsty Thursday! The Marauders are the Single A-Advanced farm team of the Pittsburgh Pirates.
- Here’s a noteworthy island adventure: Gulf Drive Café & Tiki, 900 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach, is hosting its Second Annual Rum Tasting from 6:30 p.m. until 10 p.m. Thursday with live music, a 50/50 raffle, a visit from the Anna Maria Island Privateers and more. They’re describing it as a wine tasting with a pirate twist. All ages are welcome to attend, but leave the wine tasting to the 21-and-over crowd. Cover is $20 and includes 15 tastings. For more information call 941-780-1668 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ace’s Lounge, 4343 Palma Sola Blvd., has live music starting at 9 p.m. Friday from southern blues artists TC & The Troublemakers. No Cover.
- Badda Bing! Bar, 7004 Cortez Rd., has back-to-back single table tournaments of Poker from 10 p.m. until 2 a.m. Saturday and Sunday nights. Sign up at 9:45 p.m. – and it’s free to play. All players get a free raffle ticket for each game played for a chance to win a 3-day/2-night hotel stay. Some shots are $3 all night.
- Clancy’s Irish Sports Pub & Grill, 6218 Cortez Rd., is hosting the Angie Kreitz Cancer Fundraiser from 2-6 p.m. Sunday with live music from Skyway Jumpers, a silent auction, a 50/50 raffle, food, drinks and more. Money raised during the event will benefit Angie, who is battling stage 3 breast cancer. Registration for a Poker Run starts at 10 a.m. at Peggy’s Coral, 4511 U.S. 41, Palmetto. It will make four stops throughout Manatee County before ending at Clancy’s for the benefit.