Candle Sparks House Fire
Bradenton Police Department rescues family pets from fire. The American Red Cross put the family up overnight.
The Bradenton Fire Department saved a family's pets Monday after a fire from a candle engulfed a bedroom in flames and the family had to quickly escape without their two dogs and a cat, according to a report from the Bradenton Fire Department.
When the Bradenton Fire Department arrived at 2304 42nd St. W. shortly before 4 p.m. the house was engulfed in flames. The homeowner told firefighters that everyone was out of the house, but two Maltese dogs and a cat were still inside. Search and Rescue crews entered the single family house and found a bedroom fully involved with fire and heavy smoke throughout the entire house, according to the report.
Crews were able to successfully rescue all of the family pets from the home and administer emergency care for smoke inhalation before two of the pets were taken to a veterinarian for further treatment. All three pets are reported to be in stable condition.
The American Red Cross put the family up in a hotel overnight after one room was destroyed and fire, smoke and water damage prevented them from being able to stay in the house. The family is expected to meet with their insurance company this week to make temporary housing arrangements until their home is repaired, according to Fire Marshal Kenneth Langston.
Two Bradenton fire investigators determined that a burning candle in the bedroom caused the fire. The response to the fire included fourteen firefighters from the Bradenton Fire Department and an additional six firefighters who responded from West Manatee Fire & Rescue. Paramedics from Manatee County Emergency Medical Services and law enforcement officers from the Bradenton Police Department were also on scene to assist.
The Bradenton Fire Department warns:
There are more than 15,000 candle fires nationwide reported annually. The bulk of such fires are because consumers are not following basic fire safety or they are using candles carelessly.
*Always keep a burning candle within sight, extinguish all candles when
leaving a room or before going to sleep.
*Keep burning candles away from furniture, drapes, bedding, carpets, books,
paper, decorations, etc.
*Do not place lighted candles where they can be knocked over by children or pets.
*Be sure the candleholder is placed on a stable, heat-resistant surface.