There are certainly no shortages of places to watch the Super Bowl this Sunday in Bradenton.
There are literally hundreds. Restaurants and bars across town are offering food and drink specials prior to and during the 6:30 p.m. kickoff, bringing in extra televisions or projection screens in preparation of big crowds and giving away prizes at halftime. We’ve done our best to mention a good number of them but probably only scraped the surface.
So be forewarned – this column isn’t going to mention them all. It’s already too long! If your restaurant or bar is planning a Super Bowl party and it isn’t mentioned in this column, feel free to mention it below in the comments section.
Without further ado, here we go ...
- Fan-Atics Sports Bar & Grill, 4669 Cortez Rd., is the Bradenton home of the Pittsburgh sports fan. The bar’s interior is adorned with sports mementos, mostly Steelers pennants, plaques and posters, and Pittsburgh’s own Iron City Beer is the popular drink on gameday. Bradenton Patch visited Fan-Atics during for the Steelers’ playoff victory against Baltimore Ravens on Jan. 15, and this column should tell you everything you need to know. This week they're setting up a tent in their parking lot with live music, a DJ, the Budweiser Party Bus and various food and drink specials ($5 buckets of beer, $5 pitchers, $1.50 burgers, $1 hot dogs, 50 cent wings). Door prizes every quarter and a raffle, including the grand prize: a 2009 300 Bobber Steelers edition. The cover is $10 and proceeds benefit Backpacks for Kids. Party starts at 1 p.m.
- Joey D’s Pizzeria, 4304 14th St. W., is a Chicago-style restaurant near the corner of 14th Street West and Cortez Road – and it’s also the home of the Chicago sports fan, much like the aforementioned Fan-Atics is a Pittsburgh sports fan’s refuge. How perfect a Bears vs. Steelers Super Bowl would have been! A Joey D’s vs. Fan-Atics matchup. The Bears didn’t make it but their archrivals, the Green Bay Packers, did, so local Bears fans will find plenty of fans rooting against the Pack at Joey D’s.
- Locals have been watching Super Bowls at Hi-Way Bar, 420 301 Blvd. E., since Joe Namath correctly predicted victory for his underdog Jets in 1969. The historic Hi-Way Bar is hosting a Super Bowl party with free hot dogs and drink specials and will raffle off a 19-inch flat screen television. The bar features four televisions, a few small tables and about a dozen seats along the bar.
- Bleacher’s Sports Bar & Grill, 5606 14th St. W., has 19 televisions and two giant projection screens. Grab a bite at the bar’s sister location, the adjacent B-town Burgers & BBQ, and bring it to the bar to eat. The bar is giving away several neat items – small refrigerator, golf bag, golf supplies, a cooler of beer and more. Drink specials include $1.50 Bloody Marys, $1 cans of Busch, Busch Light and Natural Light, $2 drafts and $11 buckets of five bottles. Festivities start at 10 a.m. Print out this article and bring it to Bleacher’s for $5 off anything over $25. Limit one per customer.
- Rasher Tierney’s Irish Pub, 5106 14th St. W., is kicking off Super Bowl Sunday with acoustic music from 2-6 p.m. Drink and food specials, including 50 cent chicken wings.
- Check out this Super Bowl Party at The Distillery Tavern, 108 44th Ave. E. DJ music from radio personality Rafferdy & the Street Team Girls. Free hot dogs during the game, drink specials all day and night and no cover.
- Party at Tommy Knockers Saloon, 5627 14th St. W., with a free backyard barbeque starting around 4 p.m. $50 bar tab to the best dressed team fanatic and a raffle at the end of every quarter with the following prizes: two mobile beer tubs, mini refrigerator and a flat-screen television. No cover.
- Fellas, need that extra incentive to venture beyond your easy chair on Super Bowl Sunday? Try Hooters, 4908 14th St. W., or Winghouse, 5105 14th St. W. Here’s the extra incentive: Both restaurants are giving away a 42-inch television during halftime, but you must be there to win. Register now at either location. Whichever locale you choose, enjoy the Super Bowl on multiple televisions with food, drinks and lovely ladies.
Downtown Bradenton’s pubs on Old Main Street are hosting Super Bowl parties with drink specials and appetizers and no covers. Here are your options, starting from the south end of Old Main Street:
- Fisherman Joe's Grill & Pub, 436 Old Main St., opens at 5 p.m. with $2 domestic pints until kickoff. Gametime specials include 2-for-1 wines, $1 domestic drafts, $2 import drafts and food specials to be announced. Between quarters will be "Football Trivia with Tricia," where prizes are $5 toward any purchase at the bar.
- Cork’s Cigar Bar, 425 Old Main St., has free chicken wings courtesy of T&L Barbeque, plenty of drinks and a nice selection of cigars. Party starts at 5 p.m.
- The Lost Kangaroo, 406 Old Main St., has seven televisions including its giant screen. Super Bowl party includes free food courtesy of bartender Shaun and his smoker, drink specials and some comfortable seating in the lounge area of the bar in addition to the numerous tables, chairs and barstools.
- Old Main Pub, 313 Old Main St., the oldest sports pub in downtown Bradenton, has 10 televisions and plenty of drink specials for the big game, including $5 dollar pitchers of domestic beer and $10 buckets of domestic bottles. Food, a raffle and plenty of barstools, tables and chairs.
- Continue north on Old Main Street and you’ll end at Mattison’s Riverside, 1200 First Ave. W., located on the historic pier. Mattison’s has its usual happy hour from 3-7 p.m. with specials on drinks, appetizer and sushi rolls. Mattison’s setting up a giant projection screen in its enclosed back patio for the game and a pre-bowl party from 4-6 p.m. with complimentary chili, hot dogs and prizes.
You know the names. These are three of the area’s most popular places to eat, drink and watch the game. Plenty of televisions and full food and drink menus. Plus, minors are allowed inside for food, too, so bring the whole family:
- Lee Roy Selmon’s Restaurant is hosting a Super Bowl Spread at all its locations across the Tampa Bay area. This party features an all you can eat and drink for $63 per person. Bradenton has one at 6510 Cortez Road. Call 798-3287 to reserve your seats. The primo seats are already filling up.
- Applebee’s has three Bradenton locations: 4301 Cortez Rd., 7175 53rd Ave. E. and 4638 S.R. 64 E.
- Gecko’s Grill and Pub, 4310 Manatee Ave. E. and 7228 55th Ave. E.
- Beef O’Brady’s, 5942 34th St. W. and 6703 Manatee Ave. W.
AROUND BRADENTON THIS WEEKEND, ASIDE FROM SUPER BOWL SUNDAY PARTIES
- Live music from three bands – Dead Cat Lounge, Lemon Raw and Lesson Learned - from 7-10 p.m. Friday at The Rawk Shop, 1103 12th St. W., in Bradenton’s Village of the Arts. The Rawk Shop is the merchandise headquarters for the all-women’s roller derby league, the Bradentucky Bombers. This event is free to attend but it’s a benefit to keep a couple derby girls on their wheels, so donations are welcome. Donations = beer, so bring some cash.
- The Mitch Clark Band is performing live at Ace’s Lounge, 4343 Palma Sola Blvd. from 9-1 a.m. Friday. No cover!
- Country music singer/songwriter Justin Moore is performing live at 10 p.m. Friday at Joyland, 5520 14th St. W., the premier location for live country music and dancing in Bradenton. Moore’s self-titled album produced four Top 40 singles, including Small Town USA and Backwoods. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door. Get your tickets in advance at Joyland, Honda Cars of Bradenton, 5515 14th St. W., or www.joylandcountry.com.
- Rasher Tierney’s Irish Pub, 5106 14th St. W., has live music from Patsy and Majella from 6:30-9:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday nights. This two-piece band splits its time between Florida and Ireland and is a regular at Rashers. No cover.
- Annual pre-game Super Bowl party at Tequila Beach Sport Grille, 7423 Manatee Ave. W., Saturday from 10 p.m. until 2 a.m. Live music from Bay area band Pitbull Toddler. Fans of the Cowhead Show on 102.5 FM will recognize some of Pitbull Toddler’s band members, including bassist Mike "Cowhead" Calta, Galvin on drums and guitarist John Brennan. Drink specials all night long. No cover!