A Few Of Our Favorite Bars! Merry Christmas!
Here are some of Bradenton's watering holes open this weekend.
As the work week winds down and the hectic Christmas weekend approaches, let's take a moment to think back to past weekends this year and all the good times - and good drinks - we enjoyed around town.
OK, enough reminiscing. There's plenty to do this weekend, and it doesn't have to include unwrapping presents.
If you’re looking for a place to get into the Christmas spirit – actually, if you’re looking to get the Christmas spirit(s) into you, check out some of these locations around town.
* It’s the perfect blending of the sexes at Gecko’s Grill & Pub, 4310 S.R. 64 E., on Thursday night: free football and inexpensive wine. Ladies, get your drinks on the cheap from 5 p.m. to close during Ladies Night. Pinnacle martinis are $3 and specialty wines are $3 per glass or $12 a bottle. Fellas, football starts at 7:30 p.m. The Houston Texans take on the hapless, Manning-less Indianapolis Colts. Well, no one said it was an important game, but it’s football nonetheless. Catch the game on one of Gecko’s TV INFO.
* Clancy’s Irish Sports Pub & Grill, 6218 Cortez Rd., is amid its 4th Annual Shamrock Shiver. The culmination of the Shiver charity drive is Jan. 1 (jot that down for future reference) but the action is happening now. Stop by Clancy’s whenever and “sponsor” a bartender, server or yourself to take the plunge. Those who are sponsored get to take a dip in the Gulf on New Year’s Day.
All proceeds raised will benefit Caring for Children Charities, which provides funds for nonprofit groups - such as Boys and Girls Club of Manatee, Manatee Children’s Services, and ManaTeen Volunteer Services – that benefit disadvantaged children in Manatee and Sarasota Counties. If you don’t want to take a swim or force someone else to, a donation to the cause is perfectly acceptable.
* Last Call Sports Bar & Grill, 2604 Manatee Ave. E., is hosting a White Elephant from 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Saturday. Find the worst possible gift that you’re received, gift wrap it, and bring it to the tavern around 7 p.m. Christmas Eve. Bartenders will draw numbers from a hat at 7:30 p.m. When it's your turn to pick, you may pick from the pile or steal someone else’s gift. You know the rules. Enjoy $10.00 buckets of beer and $2.50 margaritas. Last Call is open Christmas Day and night.
* The Dolphin Lounge, 2608 9th St. W., is one of the oldest dive bars in town. It opens Christmas Eve Day (Saturday) at 10 a.m. and will remain open until at least midnight, depending on the crowd. There are two different happy hours: 10 a.m. to noon and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. But you have to be there to find out the drink special for the day.
* It’s a holiday weekend, which means you very well may have off work Monday. If so, check out O’Bricks Irish Pub & Martini Bar, 427 Old Main St., for Martini Monday. Signature martinis are $6 all day. If that’s not your thing, Captain & Cokes are $3 all day from Monday to Saturday.