5 Things You Need To Know Today: October 7
It's Friday! A change in the weather is coming and tonight's Art Walk at the Village of the Arts features an annual show by people in recovery at Manatee Glens.
1. It's Friday! And that means high school football, followed by a couple of days off of work. If you're going to the game don't forget to send Patch your picks for best play, biggest fan and player of the week.
2. The weekend forecast includes a lot of rain, which includes some thunderstorms and a possibility of coastal flooding. If you have boating plans you may want to come up with a possbile alternative for the weekend.
3. Art in Recovery — the annual Manatee Glens Client Show — will open today at Still Life in G Gallery. The popular annual show features the work of Manatee Glens clients. This year the artist/clients have teamed up with fiber artists in the community to create quilt panels that reflect their journey towards healing. Tonight's Art Walk will offer the opportunity to see these beautiful quilt panels and discover how creativity, self expression and handwork contribute to the healing process. The Art Walk begins at 6 p.m. at the Village of the Arts.
4. Two local plays close this weekend. "Almost Maine," a show offered at State College of Florida, will end with a matinee on Sunday. And Manatee Players will conclude its run of "The Sound of Music," also on Sunday afternoon.
5. National Fire Prevention Week begins Monday, and the Bradenton Fire Department will use the week to educate children on fire safety. The fire department will also debut a contest for third and fifth graders within the City of Bradenton. The students will design and write their own fire safety themed comic book for a chance to win Bradenton Marauders gift bags, award certificates, and on-field pre-game recognition. For information, visit the fire department's page at cityofbradenton.com.