5 Things You Need To Know Today: Signing Day for Football Talent
It's national signing day for the area's football players eligible for college scholarships; Manatee County has half-off adoption fees for dogs; and cats and the State College of Florida, with the U.S. Army, offers a free concert Thursday.
1. Today is national signing day for college football recruits and players from across Manatee County will pick up their pens to sign college scholarship offers. Ceremonies will be held at Manatee High School at 9 a.m. in the school's auditorium,at Southeast High School at 12:45 p.m. in Southeast TV Studio. Palmetto High School will hold its ceremony at 9 a.m. in the school's auditorium.
2. A half-off adoption special begins at Manatee County Animal Services today. See a dog or cat you just have to have? The adoption fee is cut in half. The special is a $45 savings for dog adoptions and $35 savings off cats.
3. Teddy Herrera, 25, is biking across America to highlight the dangers of childhood obesity and part of his trek will bring him to Samoset Elementary School Thursday at 10 a.m. Herrera will bike to the school from Sarasota along U.S. 301. Herrera’s mission was kindled when his father died of a heart attack at 47. Teddy embarked on a 10-month, 22,000 mile bicycle tour in which he plans to speak at over 500 elementary, middle and high schools in more than 100 cities. His tour is officially known as “Across America 4 Childhood Obesity."
4. The United States Army “Pershing’s Own” Woodwind Quintet will perform a free concert at State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota Neel Performing Arts Center on Thursday at 8 p.m. The concert will feature woodwind players from the United States Army Field Band. Their goal is to expose the next generation of musicians to professional standard performances and clinics. It's worth repeating: Admission is free.
5. During February the Humane Society of Manatee County is offering free cat spay and neuter surgeries for anyone living in Manatee County's 34205, 34207, 34221 and 34222 zip codes. Take advantage of the services and your cat will may also receive a free nail trim at the time of spay/neuter. This offer is good until February 29, 2012 so make your appointment now. Call 941-747-8808 ext. 302 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you don't live in those zip codes ask them about their "Beat the Heat" discounts on spay and neuter surgeries.